Let’s do a cocktail today, since I’m sure most of you are done baking. I made it a seasonal cocktail with some Satsumas and pomegranate for a Campari cocktail that’s a little sweet, a little tart and with a little bit of a bitter undertone.
It’s the Friday before Christmas, are you ready? This year, I’m not even close. Thankfully the little guy is going to the mountains with his dad this weekend, so this Santa helper will be plowing her way through the mall for last minute toys and gifts.
I say plow, because I think I’ve mentioned to you before about my ungraceful ways, but when I’m stressed all sense of my body and physical space seems to have no measurement. I will just as easily trip over myself as I would stepping onto a brightly painted curb.
Oh, and the really important one, I should mention, if you live in Orange County my driving—ouch, four totaled cars. Enough said, you’ve been warned.
Satsuma and Pomegranate Campari
Yield: 2 servings
- 4 parts satsuma, (fresh squeezed)
- 2 parts pomegranate juice, (fresh squeezed see head notes)
- 1 part simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 1 part Campari
- 1 part sugar
- 1 part water
Fill a tall glass with ice. Pour Satsuma juice over ice; set aside. Add the pomegranate juice, simple syrup and Campari into a cocktail shaker and shake until combined. Pour over pomegranate and Campari mixture over Satsuma juice.
Place sugar and water in a pot and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Cool before using.
A few notes:
- I used fresh squeezed Satsuma juice, but if you can't find Satsumas in your area try using tangerine juice or orange juice. Tangerine juice can usually be found in a health food store when it's in season.
- For the pomegranate juice I did the same, I juiced mine in a food processor then pushed it through a fine mesh sieve to dispose of the seeds. If pomegranates are not in season for your area, try using POM.
- The simple syrup is not necessary, but if you are new to Campari it helps tone down the flavor. Alternately, add a 1/2 part white rum instead of the simple syrup.
- Keep in mind the recipe has only been tested with fresh squeezed juices, so if anyone tries this cocktail with ready-made juice come back and let the rest of us know.